Matthew L. Preston practices primarily in the area of commercial litigation. Mr. Preston is a native of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Mr. Preston attended the University of Iowa, where he received a Bachelor of Business degree in Economics, with honors. He received his law degree, with distinction, from the University of Iowa College of Law, in 1996. While in law school, he was one of four students of 230 selected to compete in the National Moot Court Competition. He also was a member of the Iowa Law Review, which included editing articles published in the nationally circulated journal.
Professional Honors & Activities:
Mr. Preston is the recipient of the "BV" peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell®.
Mr. Preston is a Fellow in the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers, an organization devoted to trial practice and limited to approximately 3% of Iowa attorneys. (See the press release.)
Presentations & Speeches:
Mr. Preston was selected by the American Bar Association - Young Lawyer Division, to give a presentation at its Fall 2000 national meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona. He was also asked by the Iowa State Bar Association to serve on its Strategic Planning Committee, relating to Iowa's court system. Mr. Preston has spoken to Lawyers and Legal Assistant groups on litigation and trial skills topics.
- Looking To The Future
- Preston Assumes YLD Presidency
- Iowa's Mock Trial Program Needs You
- Barrister's Ball Off To Good Start
Mr. Preston is a member of the Linn County Bar Association, and served as its Vice President from 1998 - 2000. He served as President of the Iowa State Bar Association Young Lawyer Division for the term 2005-2006.
Mr. Preston belongs to the American Bar Association, where he is a member of the Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Section of Intellectual Property Law, and Forum on Franchising. Mr. Preston's other recent professional affiliations include serving as President of the Linn County group for young lawyers (1998 - 2000), and sitting on the Bench-Bar Relations Committee (1999 - 2000).
Mr. Preston is admitted to practice before the Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa's Federal Courts, as well as all Iowa state courts. Mr. Preston has also been admitted pro hac vice to practice before the state and/or federal courts of: California, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Nevada, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. Mr. Preston has also been admitted to the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Cedar Rapids Lodge & Suites, LLC v. JFS Development, Inc., 2010 WL 1030497 (N.D. Iowa 2010)
- Kramer v. Perez, 595 F3d. 825 (8th Cir. 2010)
- Cedar Rapids Lodge & Suites, LLC v. JFS Development, Inc., 2010 WL 364562 (N.D. Iowa 2010)
- Rakes v. Life Investors Ins. Co. of America, 582 F.3d 886 (8th Cir. 2009)
- Hills Bank & Trust Co. v. Converse, 772 N.W.2d 764 (Iowa 2009)
- Rakes v. Life Investors Ins. Co. of America, 2008 WL 4852932 (N.D. Iowa 2008)
- Kramer v. Perez, 579 F. Supp. 2d 1164 (S.D. Iowa 2008)
- Hills Bank & Trust Co. v. Converse, 2008 WL 3364334 (Iowa Ct. App. 2008))
- Rakes v. Life Investors Ins. Co. of America, 622 F. Supp. 2d 755 (N.D. Iowa 2008)
- McGowan, Ltd., Inc. v. Soy Basics, L.L.C., 2008 WL 346044, (N.D.Iowa Feb 06, 2008)
- Richard L. McGowan, Ltd., Inc. v. Soy Basics, LLC, 2007 WL 576484, (N.D.Iowa Feb 21, 2007)
- Kreinbring v. Alternative Claims Services, Inc., 2004 WL 1293927, (N.D.Iowa May 27, 2004)
- Rieff v. Evans, 672 N.W.2d 728, (Iowa Dec 17, 2003)
- United Fire & Cas. Co. v. Northwind Developers, L.L.C., 666 N.W.2d 620, (Iowa App. May 14, 2003)
- Weems v. Federated Mut. Ins. Co., 220 F.Supp.2d 979, (N.D.Iowa Mar 20, 2002)
- Berstler v. Flender, 2001 WL 34780405, (Iowa Dist. Dec 12, 2001)
- Rieff v. Evans, 630 N.W.2d 278, (Iowa May 31, 2001)
- GreatAmerica Leasing Corp. v. Telular Corp., 1999 WL 33656867, (N.D.Iowa Apr 20, 1999)
- Lakes Gas Co. v. Lou's LP Co., 2010 WL 3385186 (N.D. Iowa Aug. 24, 2010)
- Lakes Gas Co. v. Lou's LP Co., 2010 WL 1254322 (N.D. Iowa Mar. 26, 2010)