Helping People and Families Recover from Personal Injury and Wrongful Death

What should I do if I think my child has lead poisoning?

If you suspect your child may have been exposed to lead, it is extremely important for you to take your child to see a doctor immediately. Your son or daughter will need to have a blood test in order to find out if he or she has lead poisoning. The nurse or doctor will draw blood from your child's arm or finger and have the lab test a sample to verify if lead levels are found in the blood and how much it contains.

In Iowa, these tests should be completed if your child is anywhere between the ages of six months to six years and is starting day care, preschool or kindergarten. These facilities require a blood lead test to assess each child for Iowa lead poisoning.

If your child's level is 10 micrograms per deciliter or higher, then their blood lead levels are unsafe, and you will be instructed by your health care provider that your child will need follow-up testing. Your doctor will provide you with further instructions if your child is found to have high blood lead levels.

If your child has lead poisoning in Iowa, you should call a knowledgeable Cedar Rapids child lead poisoning attorney at the law offices of Brady Preston Gronlund today at (319) 866-9277 to find out your rights, and request a copy of our FREE book, Get the Lead Out.

Free Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.