You may be doing everything just right - driving down the road, following the traffic rules and driving the posted speed limit - when out of nowhere another driver runs a red light and plows into your vehicle. Violent car crashes in Eastern Iowa occur more often than we would like to think, and produce five common injuries accident victims should be aware of.
Injuries from violent Cedar Rapids accidents include:
- Head Injuries: Bleeding, swelling of the brain and tearing of tissues can occur when the brain moves inside the skull. Symptoms may include vomiting, headaches, seizures, neck pain and trouble concentrating or remembering things.
- Herniated Disc Injuries: A violent car accident in Iowa can put enough stress on the spinal column to cause a disc to move out of place. When this happens, a piece of the spinal structure that separates your vertebrae can push into the spinal channel and press against nerves. Symptoms of herniated disc injuries include sharp back pain, leg and foot pain and even neck pain.
- Pelvic Fracture: Many seniors and children sustain pelvic fractures in violent car accidents because the seatbelt can pull so tightly around the waist that it can cause a fracture. However, seatbelts should still be worn to save lives. Symptoms of a fractured pelvis include bruising, swelling, numbness, tingling and discomfort in your upper thighs and pelvic bone area.
- Cervical Spinal Injuries: Neck injuries in car accidents frequently occur because ligaments in the neck are relatively weak. The cervical spine (the portion that makes up the neck) is the most vulnerable part of the spinal column. Symptoms of cervical spine injuries include pain, numbness, and tingling, which may be felt in your neck, shoulders, and even down your arms and hands.
- Airbag Injuries: Even though a deployed airbag may look soft, when the airbag deploys it travels fast enough to cause injuries. Injuries can include a broken nose, skin abrasions, bruises, eye damage and impaired vision, and more.
When a violent car accident occurs, oftentimes it results in death for one or more of the accident victims due to the sheer force of the impact or because the car was pushed further into traffic and hit again.
If you sustained serious injuries after an Eastern Iowa accident, or if your loved one died in a Cedar Rapids crash that was caused by a negligent driver, you have rights. Call a qualified Cedar Rapids personal injury lawyer today at the Law Offices of Brady Preston Gronlund for a free legal consultation at (319) 866-9277. You may be entitled to financial compensation for medical bills, lost wages, loss of services, loss of companionship, instances of pain and suffering, and more.
As a courtesy to you, please request a FREE copy of our book: Answers to Iowa Car Crash Victims' Top 10 Questions.